Sunday, April 25, 2010

Life-Dance


Some bounced in
Spun me about
Held me breathless
Leaving the echo in my ears
Of their lyrical laughter

Some sauntered through
Caught me off-guard
Tripped me quite soundly
Leaving the blur in my eyes
Of their fancy footwork

Some stomped out
Slammed the door
Locked it forever
Leaving footprints in my mind
Filled with muddy memories

You walked forward
Held out your hand
Met me half-way
Leaving the rhythm of my heart
Decidedly different

So we dance
You do one step
I do another
Leaving room in our souls now
For some magnificent music

... Sing and dance together and be joyous,
but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone
though they quiver with the same music.


Give your hearts, but not into each others' keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran)

No comments:

Post a Comment