Saturday, January 1, 2011

Still Dawn


Still
Waits dawn
To break a new day.
A new year, it appears
Out of nowhere, creeps in silently.
Although I knew of its coming,
Humming, I was, and busy with life.
"Last year", I say
Of memories sweet, or bitter.
Makes no difference, really,
For that time, brief as it was,
Burst into flame, burned fully,
Is forever gone.
"Next year", you say,
When laying plans, or dreams
Or putting off what could be done NOW.
Last year,
Children wept from hunger, thirst, cold.
Next year,
If they survive, they grow older,
Hopeless, disillusioned, angry.
Last year,
Creatures wandered lost, forgotten, endangered.
Next year,
If they remain, they tread lightly
In a world that values them less.
In reality,
We each have only NOW,
This New Year - day, moment, breath
To begin again - fresh, clean, clear.
To do whatever we can
To improve the world, help another,
To mother, move over a bit and share,
Simply savor this life.
We have been given

A new beginning

And dawn waits

Still


The unfailing love of the LORD never ends!
By his mercies we have been kept
from complete destruction.
Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each day.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance;
therefore, I will hope in him!"
Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment