Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Whatizzit? 3 Answer

Peg was correct - this large lower limb of a huge Douglas fir is covered with a number of different types of lichens. I thought the massive clump at the very end of the branch was particularly impressive!

 
Lichens are a unique type of plant, made up of both algae and fungi but resembling neither of those specific individuals. In the Pacific Northwest they are a valuable part of the ecosystem, absorbing water, supplying nutrients to the soil and food for countless animals. They also are a well-known indicator of air quality.
 
This photograph was taken on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. For more information on lichens there, please click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! My ego loves it when I'm right. The other person within me attempts to stay humble. Thanks for posting the answer Barb. I love all your postings. You rock!!

    Peg

    ReplyDelete